Conservation Value Solutions customizes Integrative Conservation Strategies for philanthropists, impact investors, and Nature retreat owners who want to conserve, restore, or simply learn about the habitats and biodiversity of their properties. Here’s how:
- We start by facilitating a fun, collaborative brainstorm to identify your personal goals for the property;
- Next, we conduct assessments of habitat types, plant species diversity, and/or overall land health;
- We use results to develop strategies for achieving your goals. Outputs of this process can include (but are certainly not limited to):
- Adaptive management plans (e.g., developing and implementing habitat conservation and restoration, climate change mitigation and adaptation plans);
- Educational materials (e.g., a guide to the edible, medicinal and indigenous uses of plant species documented on the property; guided naturalist hikes or leisurely nature walks);
- Resources that support fun activities (e.g., ask us how we can gamify your biodiversity…); and
- Serving as a manager or coordinator of conservation projects on your property.
Selected Applications: As science advisor to the owners of a 1,000-acre northern California ranch, we developed training resources and tools that increased their interest in native plant conservation and regenerative ranch management:
- First, we completed a rapid plant biodiversity assessment of the ranch and used results to develop a guide to the edible, medicinal, and indigenous uses of the 350+ species that we identified;
- Fulfilling a request from the ranch manager, we developed a section about the priority invasive plant species that we identified, including options of scientifically recommended eradication, control and management practices. This section is helping the ranch manager eradicate and control small, early stage Medusahead infestations identified during the plant survey.
- Our work on this project has been lauded by by the client, ranch managers, and experts in California’s plant biodiversity.